Labor & Employment Advice
RPLG labor and employment attorneys draw from decades of experience advising on and litigating some of the most complex labor and employment law issues in California. We regularly litigate labor employment cases in a variety of venues, including state and federal court, the Public Employment Relations Board, local personnel boards and commissions, the Office of Administrative Hearings, the Department of Labor, the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH), the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), and other labor and employment regulatory agencies.
We draw from our vast litigation experience to provide practical, effective, strategic legal advice to our clients. Our attorneys work collaboratively with our clients to navigate the complicated web of state and federal employment laws, collectively bargained contracts, civil service rules, charter provisions, local codes and ordinances, and personnel rules. As litigators, we are able to advise on best practices for avoiding litigation and, in circumstances where litigation is probable, maximizing our clients’ likelihood of success. Our client’s goals are paramount and we individually tailor all of our legal advice to ensure our clients can effectively manage their organizations while complying with all applicable labor and employment laws.
We regularly advise employers on personnel and employment matters involving:
- Harassment, discrimination and retaliation;
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance and accommodation issues;
- FLSA overtime requirements;
- Discipline, discharge and performance management;
- Family, medical, and other leave policies
- Drug and alcohol policies;
- Lawful hiring and background screening;
- Violence prevention programs;
- Personnel policies and employee manuals;
- Pension and medical benefits; and
- CALPERS and ‘37 Act issues.
Our attorneys have particular expertise in pension and other post-employment benefits (OPEB) reform, and we maintain strong working relationships with outside actuarial experts.