Timely, Accurate & Practical Election Law Advice
When it comes to conducting elections in California, one trend is abundantly clear: state and federal laws continue to become more complex, and the consequences of failing to comply with these laws continue to become more severe. Our election law practice model recognizes the critical need for election officials to receive timely, accurate, and practical legal advice to solve election problems arising under state and federal law. Our firm is uniquely positioned to provide these expert services in this high stakes area.
Deep Experience with the Election Process
Our lawyers have unparalleled experience providing practical legal advice on the wide range of state and federal legal issues faced by election officials in California. Our firm includes current and former city attorneys and a former Chief Counsel to the California Secretary of State, who also served for ten years as counsel to the San Francisco Registrar of Voters. We have provided election law advice and representation on both routine and cutting-edge legal issues, including recall elections, the Voting Rights Act, the Help America Vote Act, and the certification, security and reliability of new voting systems.
Litigating Effectively Under Constrained Timelines
Our firm’s experience with state and local elections processes provides us with a sound understanding of the practical problems faced by local election officials in conducting elections in accordance with strict timelines. We understand the critical importance of providing timely and practical election law advice, and we are prepared to effectively represent officials in election litigation subject to inherently constrained timelines.
Full Range of Election Counseling and Litigation Services
The types of matters on which we advise and represent local election officials include:
- The initiative, referendum and recall processes, including the form and circulation of petitions, the verification of signatures and conduct of the election, and representation in litigation concerning these issues
- Implementation of new voting systems
- Compliance with the Voting Rights Act, including the minority language provisions of the Act
- Compliance with the Help America Vote Act
- Development of election materials in conjunction with our consultants who have expertise in election administration