Renne Public Law Group (RPLG) is a San Francisco-based firm specializing in representation of public entities and nonprofits. We are seeking an attorney with three to seven years experience, to join our growing practice representing public entities and nonprofits in many types of contract negotiations, advice, and policy development.
Client services in this RPLG practice area include public sector labor negotiations; negotiation of community benefits agreements, and related land use policy development; negotiation of project labor agreements, advancing equity in hiring and contracting in public construction projects; affordable housing labor, policy, and development issues; general counsel role for public entities and nonprofits; and public safety innovation and reform initiatives.
Recent client engagements in this practice area include:
- Negotiation of public sector labor agreements for over a dozen California jurisdictions in 2021, resolving terms and conditions of employment for thousands of valued public sector employees;
- Legal and strategic advice and representation to associations of affordable housing developers regarding affordable housing production legislation and labor agreements;
- Representing the State of California Department of Environmental Protection in negotiation of a project labor agreement for large environmental cleanup project, including local and disadvantaged hiring requirements;
- Retention by City of Richmond to develop a Community Benefits Policy for the City’s land use and economic development projects;
- Assisting several large California cities in efforts to reimagine public safety and promote police accountability, exploring alternatives to traditional policing as well as improvements to existing systems;
- Serving as general counsel to public, quasi-public, and nonprofit entities, ensuring sound organizational legal approaches to enable clients to advance their policy goals and serve the public.
The attorney in this position may also have the opportunity to work on RPLG’s extensive public sector litigation practice. For details regarding RPLG’s litigation portfolio, please see our other current job posting.
Applicants must possess extremely strong written and oral communication skills, excellent research and analytical abilities, and experience as lead attorney on client engagements. Candidates should have demonstrated a commitment to public interest legal practice and/or serving the public sector.
Highly desirable qualifications include experience negotiating and drafting contracts; lobbying experience and/or legislative drafting; and litigation experience. Experience regarding employment law, labor law, or affordable housing/land use development is a plus.
Firm Overview: Public Law in the Public Interest
RPLG was founded by Louise Renne, former San Francisco City Attorney, a pioneer of affirmative litigation in the public interest. Our lawyers have decades of experience litigating innovative cases and assisting our clients in their crucial mission of serving the public.
We represent public entities and nonprofit organizations throughout California, practicing in court and administrative proceedings, negotiating to advance our client’s interests, and bringing crucial technical and legal expertise to complex, sensitive, and high-profile policy development efforts.
RPLG was named by the Daily Journal as one of the Top 20 Boutique Law Firms in California. Two of our partners are Daily Journal Top 100 Women Lawyers in California, and other partners are California Super Lawyers.
RPLG is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. RPLG encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Black people, Indigenous people, people of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and intersex people; women; people with disabilities, and protected veterans are all strongly encouraged to apply.
RPLG makes every effort to assure that its recruitment and employment provide all qualified persons, including persons with disabilities, with full opportunities for employment in all positions.
RPLG is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please email email@example.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
Compensation is based on experience. The position will remain open until filled. All applications will be treated confidentially.
If you are interested in this position, we would like to hear from you. Applicants should submit a cover letter describing education, career goals, and relevant experience, along with resumé, a writing sample, and three references, to firstname.lastname@example.org.