Abigail West is an attorney with an extensive background in state and federal court litigation, arbitration and investigations. Abigail has defended various companies in complex class action litigation across a broad range of matters, including but not limited to securities, antitrust and general commercial litigation.
During law school, Abigail was a Global Law Scholar and student advocate at the International Women’s Human Rights Clinic, as well as an editor of the Georgetown Journal of International Law. Abigail is devoted to providing pro bono legal services to underserved communities. She has successfully advocated on behalf of asylum seekers and has collaborated with nonprofit organizations on various civil and human rights initiatives.
- Shareholder Derivative and Securities Litigation
- Negotiated $50 million settlement in federal derivative action against Pinterest alleging discrimination and retaliation
- Won numerous motions to dismiss in shareholder derivative and securities class actions on behalf of companies and their officers
- Represented Google in connection with antitrust lawsuit concerning Google’s advertising technology business
- Retail and Commercial
- Obtained a summary judgment victory on behalf of The Gap, Inc. in state court action alleging violations of California’s gift card statute and Unfair Competition Law
- Life Sciences
- Successfully represented Chart Inc. in a products liability action concerning damaged or destroyed biological tissue by securing partial dismissal and then defeating plaintiffs’ motion for class certification
- Conduct internal investigations on behalf of companies, as well as investigations pursuant to DOJ and SEC subpoenas
- Pro Bono
- Represented land rights activist in international human rights proceedings against the Haitian government
- Obtained asylum on behalf of refugee from Guatemala based on her transgender identity
- Collaborated with the ACLU in investigating and drafting a report on the use of tear gas in juvenile detention facilities in California
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Supreme Court Holds Parents Deprived of Reunification Services Not Entitled to Automatic Relief, Renne Public Law Group LLP (April 2023)
- Statewide CCPA Enforcement Post-Abbott Labs, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP (July 2020)
- COVID-19 Pandemic Will Not Delay July 1 CCPA Enforcement Date, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP (June 2020)
PRESS & AWARDS
- “Silicon Valley securities litigators file amicus petition urging Ninth Circuit to grant en banc reconsideration in Slack direct listing lawsuit,” Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer US LLP (November 16, 2021)
- Excellence in Pro Bono Award, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
- Member, Alameda County Mental Health Advisory Board (District 5 Appointee)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- American Bar Association
ADMISSIONS AND COURTS
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Northern District of California
- Eastern District of California
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
- Georgetown University, summa cum laude, B.A.