Howard Jordan has a professional background in law enforcement and rose through the ranks to serve as Chief of Police for the City of Oakland. He is a proven leader amongst law enforcement and security force professionals and has demonstrated expertise in developing and implementing goals, objectives, policies and priorities.
Among Mr. Jordan’s accomplishments at the Oakland Police Department:
- While serving as the OUSD Police Chief, Mr. Jordan developed a comprehensive School Site Safety plan, which included “active shooter” training and response to other critical incidents.
- Worked to develop a community policing partnership with residents of Oakland. Built relationships with non-profits and city officials to help at-risk youth and adults.
- Spearheaded implementation of “Operation Ceasefire,” a nationally recognized evidence-based strategy that has produced multi-year, communitywide reductions in serious violence in cities across the United States. Ceasefire is a vital component in Oakland’s turnaround in violent crime statistics.
- Led the Department during the difficult hours of March 21, 2009, when four officers were gunned down in less than 3 hours. Using what he learned in dealing with that calamity, Mr. Jordan has reached out nationwide to share insights and lessons learned with other departments experiencing similar tragedies.
- Supported the changes prescribed by the Negotiated Settlement Agreement, seeing them as an opportunity to enhance the Department’s ability to protect the lives, rights, dignity and property of the community it serves.
- Improved training and implemented use of body cameras which strengthened the review process to reduce officer-involved shootings by 50%.
Currently working as a consultant and a licensed private investigator, Mr. Jordan has established Jordan Consulting and Investigations, which offers an array of services, including law enforcement consultations, legal services, investigations, school site safety review, workplace harassment investigations and background investigations. Mr. Jordan is a foremost expert in Police Practices and Procedures and currently a Police Auditor for the City of Rohnert Park, California. He shares his wealth of knowledge and experience in the law enforcement profession with others, serving as a mentor for executive leadership and as an adjunct professor at Diablo Valley College and Merritt College.
Mr. Jordan’s civic and community participation includes serving as an advisor for non-profit organizations (Valley Bible Church), a board member for Pleasant Hill Chamber of Commerce and as a member of the board of directors for the Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano Counties. He also serves on the Advisory Board of the University of San Francisco, International Institute of Criminal Justice Leadership.
Mr. Jordan was awarded a master’s degree in Public Administration from Cal State Hayward and a bachelor’s degree from Columbia College in Mo. He is a graduate of the 219th FBI National Academy and the Police Executive Research Forum’s Senior Management Institute in Policing.