ABOUT IAN LONG
Ian Long brings extensive civil litigation experience and a passion for public law to Renne Public Law Group.
Mr. Long has experience at every stage of litigation, and public clients regularly turn to Mr. Long to handle their most difficult problems. Recent litigation includes:
- Winning summary judgment on a class action challenging the County of Orange’s pension reform measures;
- Defending a water district against alleged misrepresentations of pension benefits;
- Appealing CalPERS’ determination that a transit agency misclassified a consultant as an independent contractor;
- Defending California State University employees in federal constitutional litigation over a Title IX sexual misconduct investigation.
Mr. Long’s experience includes first-chair trial work in federal, state and administrative forums, including:
- Winning a complete defense verdict for a public children’s hospital in a three-week state jury trial involving hostile work environment claims;
- Winning a complete defense verdict for a public skilled nursing facility in a three-week state jury trial involving whistleblower claims;
- Achieving a mixed verdict with damages amounting to only 10% of those requested by the plaintiff in a five-week federal jury trial involving a software build dispute. The case subsequently settled in the face of very strong post-trial motions.
Before Mr. Long joined RPLG, he was a litigation associate at Gibson Dunn & Crutcher and Morgan, Lewis & Bockius in San Francisco. During his time as an associate at these two global law firms, Mr. Long participated in all stages of civil litigation and investigations, including gaining first chair trial experience in federal court. Mr. Long’s practice also ranged broadly to cover contract, trade secret, employment discrimination, employee misclassification, bankruptcy, False Claims Act and Section 1983 matters.
Upon graduating from law school, Mr. Long clerked for Hon. William B. Shubb of the Eastern District of California. During his time in law school, Mr. Long externed for the Duke University Office of General Counsel and the Oakland Unified School District.
PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Presenter, “Vested Rights, Labor Relations & PERB Decisions,” County Counsels’ Association of California, Employment Law Section Conference (2018)
- Chan, Winston, and Long, Ian. “Elder Abuse Reporting Under Scrutiny.” Provider Magazine, Dec. 2017, pp. 45–46.
- Duke University, School of Law, JD
- Duke University, BA
ADMISSIONS AND COURTS
- Federal District Court for the Northern District of California
- Federal District Court for the Eastern District of California
- Federal District Court for the Central District of California