ABOUT JUDITH PROPP
Judith Propp has extensive experience representing and advising public agencies on a wide range of government law issues including land use, real property, public contracts and bidding, public records requests, and open meeting law matters.
Ms. Propp provides governmental agencies with advice and training on the Brown Act, California Public Records Act, AB 1234 ethics, and conflicts of interest. She represents elected and appointed boards and commissions including city councils, planning commissions, oversight boards, and special districts.
Ms. Propp has also represented cities on a variety of issues including planning and land use, affordable housing, community development, human resources, police, finance, public works, library, ADA compliance, annexations, and civil grand jury investigations.
In addition, Ms. Propp advises and serves as general counsel for several nonprofit corporations. She provides a wide variety of services to nonprofits including Board of Directors training, advice on compliance with nonprofit laws, and general business transactions.
Some of the matters on which Ms. Propp has provided advice and representation on include:
- Specific Plan for a 250-acre Business Commercial Park project. Representation of the public agency included environmental issues, negotiations with multiple property owners on land use and development issues, sales tax agreements, infrastructure costs, and successful defense of related environmental/CEQA and infrastructure lawsuits.
- Formation of Community Facilities Districts (Mello-Roos) ($10 million for public improvements and $80 million for public improvements and infrastructure).
- Construction and lease agreements for public projects (sports park, library).
- Council and Commission training on attorney-client communications, confidentiality, conflicts of interest and ethics.
- Established new revenue generating franchise agreement.
- Formation of nonprofit corporations to support innovation hub (technology park) and public benefit purposes.
- Advice to municipal utilities (water, sewer, and electric services)
Ms. Propp also has significant municipal litigation experience. She has successfully represented local governments in sensitive and complex litigation including civil rights violations, challenges to ordinances, environmental disputes, governmental torts and other government actions before state and federal trial courts and in administrative proceedings.
Ms. Propp was the Town Attorney for the Town of Los Gatos from 2010 through 2013. She also served as Senior Assistant City Attorney for the City of Livermore for five years, Senior Deputy City Attorney for City of Santa Clara and Silicon Valley Power and Deputy City Attorney for City of San Jose.
In addition to serving public agencies, Ms. Propp has experience assisting private sector clients with civil litigation matters, real property, landlord-tenant, and business transactions. She worked for law firms and her own law practice in San Luis Obispo County from 1991-1998.
- Santa Barbara College of Law, JD
- University of Illinois, BS
ADMISSIONS AND COURTS
- United States District Courts for the Northern and Central Districts