Shajuti Hossain is an associate with extensive experience working with public agencies and nonprofits on a range of policy development initiatives and transactions. She is skilled at working with public and private clients in developing regional and local initiatives that advance a range of community and public benefits, and further racial and economic equity. In these roles, Ms. Hossain has built extensive experience in affordable housing, transportation issues, and land use development policies.
Ms. Hossain was a Staff Attorney at Public Advocates prior to joining the firm. As a Staff Attorney, she advocated for equitable policy changes and legal implementation to address the Bay Area housing affordability crisis at local, regional, and state levels. Ms. Hossain externed at the North Carolina Justice Center on the Workers’ Rights Project and the North Carolina State Board of Education. She was also a Summer Associate at Goldstein, Borgen, Dardarian, & Ho. Ms. Hossain interned at the Duke Law Civil Justice Clinic and the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law.
- “Lessons from Blackamerican Lawyers’ Social Justice Advocacy for Immigrant Muslim Lawyers,” UC Davis Social Justice Law Review (August 2020).
- “Racial and Ethnic Equity in American Public Schools: Looking Ahead,” The Oxford Handbook of U.S. Education Law (October 2020).
- “Opposing Motions for Summary Judgment Plaintiff’s Perspective,” Sexual Harassment and Retaliation: A Practical Handbook for Plaintiff and Defense (April 2019).
- “Consumers Underestimate the Emissions Associated with Food but are Aided by Labels,” Nature Climate Change (December 2018).
- “Understanding the Legal Landscape of Discrimination Against Muslim Students in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools,” Duke Forum for Law and Social Change (Spring 2017).
- “California Cities Struggle to Meet New Housing Planning Guidelines,” KQED Forum October 14, 2021
- “Housing Inequity and the COVID-19 Pandemic” League of Women Voters of Berkeley, Albany, and Emeryville, CA (Virtual) June 17, 2021
- “Combatting Racial Segregation through Regional Policies” Non-Profit Housing Association of Northern California, San Francisco, CA (Virtual) May 27, 2021
- “The End of Single-Family Zoning?” Capitol Weekly Conference on Housing Policy, Sacramento, CA (Virtual) May 26, 2021
- “Rethinking the Suburbs: Local and Regional Leaders on a Bay Area Wide Housing Perspective” Council of Community Housing Organizations, San Francisco, CA (Virtual) May 12, 2021
- “Housing Element and Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing” National Housing Law Project and Public Interest Law Project, Webinar September 9, 2020
- “Preserving Housing in the Bay Area and Beyond” San Francisco Bay Area Planning and Urban Research Association, Webinar June 23, 2020
- “Training on AB 1487 (California enabling legislation for the Bay Area Housing Finance Authority)” Housing Now! Coalition, Webinar March 11, 2020
- “Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing in California” Fair Housing for our Future, Law and Litigation Conference, San Diego, CA February 13, 2020
- “CASA (The Committee to House the Bay Area): Intentions and Legacy” Housing Now! Coalition, Webinar April 11, 2019
- Duke Muslim Alumni Association, Board of Directors, Chair
- Duke Law Alumni Association, Board of Directors
- Islamic Scholarship Fund, Legal Advisory Council
- Affordable Housing and Community Economic Development
- Public Infrastructure
- Duke University, School of Law, JD
- Duke University, BS Economics, BA Public Policy