About Renne Public Law Group
We are Renne Public Law Group (RPLG), named by the Daily Journal as one of the Top 20 Boutique Law Firms in California. The Daily Journal has recognized our partners as Top 100 Women Lawyers, Top 100 California Lawyers, and Top Labor & Employment Lawyers. California Super Lawyers have recognized our attorneys as well.
Our firm was founded by Louise Renne, former San Francisco City Attorney, a pioneer of affirmative litigation in the public interest. Our lawyers have decades of experience litigating innovative cases. We practice public law, in the public interest, representing public agencies all over the state in court, arbitrations and before administrative agencies. We also regularly advise cities, counties, and special districts as special outside counsel on labor and employment matters.
Our matters are staffed in a manner that ensures mid-level attorneys receive a significant amount of responsibility and opportunity. To that end, you will have direct contact with firm clients, providing advice and drafting legal memorandum for advice matters, interviewing witnesses, and drafting reports for workplace investigations, and having substantial autonomy in litigation matters.
Responsibilities and Duties
We are looking for labor and employment attorneys with demonstrated academic and professional success, and three (3) to six (6) years’ experience to join our practice. We are seeking candidates with: litigation experience (including written discovery, taking depositions, motion practice and pre-trial and/or trial experience in state and federal court); dispute resolution (pre- and post-litigation) and negotiating severance agreements; administrative proceedings before the Public Employment Relations Board (PERB), the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission(EEOC), and Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH); advising clients on reasonable accommodation, disciplinary matters; labor relations; and experience conducting or overseeing workplace investigations.
A sample of the tasks you will encounter may include:
- Advising public sector and non-profit employers on personnel and employment matters in all areas of California labor and employment laws, including reasonable accommodation, performance management issues and disciplinary advice.
- Defending lawsuits in state and federal court concerning race, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, religion and disability discrimination claims, harassment and retaliation claims, claims alleging failure to accommodate under state and federal laws, wrongful discharge suits, speech and whistleblower cases, defamation lawsuits, negligent hiring and retention claims, FLSA overtime suits, civil service terminations, and lawsuits involving allegations that retirement benefits and/or retiree health benefits are “vested” and not subject to change.
- Participating in all aspects of labor relations, including negotiating labor agreements, responding to grievances, representing clients in discipline and contract labor arbitrations, preparing position statements in response to unfair labor practice charges and representing clients in administrative hearings before PERB.
- Participating in workplace investigations and supporting the firm’s role as a neutral, outside investigator, including interviewing witnesses, reviewing relevant records, drafting investigator reports and preparing related communications to public legislative bodies.
- Assisting clients to navigate the web of state and federal employment laws, collectively bargained contracts, merit system rules, Constitutional issues, local codes and ordinances, personnel rules and matters related to COVID-19.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $160,000 to $220,000. Placement within this range is dependent on experience and qualifications. The firm also offers a generous benefits package including, but not limited to:
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- 401(k) Matching and Profit Sharing
- Hybrid Work Schedule
- FSA and Commuter Benefit Programs
Job Type: Full-time
Applicants must submit a short cover letter outlining their interest in the firm and position along with their salary requirements and resume to email@example.com
RPLG is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. RPLG encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Black people, Indigenous people, people of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and intersex people; women; people with disabilities, and protected veterans are all encouraged to apply.
RPLG makes every effort to assure that its recruitment and employment provide all qualified persons, including persons with disabilities, with full opportunities for employment in all positions.
RPLG is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.