Ms. Clayton brings a wealth of local public agency experience to Renne Public Law Group. Her practice focuses on public contracting, transportation, utilities, labor and employment law, open meetings laws, and Public Records Act requirements.
Ms. Clayton currently reviews procurement, professional services and public works contracts for several public entities and non-profits.
In her three decades with the San Francisco’s City Attorney’s Office, Ms. Clayton served as Chief Labor and Employment Attorney, General Counsel to the Civil Service Commission, General Counsel to the Public Utilities Commission, and Chief Contracts Attorney. In these roles, she oversaw teams of attorneys, investigators, administrative staff and consultants.
She provided advice and served as lead attorney in the following areas:
- Drafting and reviewing transportation/transit related contracts, funding agreements, procurement documents and contracting policies, ensuring compliance with federal and state transportation contracting requirements.
- Procurement and rehabilitation of the Municipal Railway’s bus and light rail fleets.
- Negotiation, review and approval of all commodity purchasing and procurement of both general and professional services contracts.
- Advising the Civil Service Commission, Public Utilities Commission, Human Resources Director, Department Heads, Mayor, Board of Supervisors and Superior Court on routine and complex issues relating to labor and employment issues, compliance with the Brown Act, the Public Records Act, the Political Reform Act, Government Code Section 1090, and other governmental ethics laws.
- Drafting and reviewing agendas, ordinances and resolutions, and supporting staff reports.
- Negotiating and drafting of several major changes to the San Francisco Charter including changes to the Civil Service rules, the City’s municipal transit department, and a 2002 ballot measure enhancing the authority of the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission.
- Lawsuits, writs, appeals, arbitrations and administrative hearings involving all facets of labor and employment law.
- Advice on employment law and labor-related matters, including employee hiring, discipline and termination.
- Negotiating and advising on collective bargaining agreements.
- Providing training on Civil Service Rules, Charter and City Ordinances, discrimination and harassment, and other employment related issues.
During law school, Ms. Clayton clerked for Justice Frank K. Richardson of the California Supreme Court and for Judge Ira A. Brown of the San Francisco Superior Court, Law and Motion Department.
- University of San Francisco School of Law, JD, magna cum laude
- California State University, Chico, BA
Admissions and Courts