Rubin Cruse Jr. is a practical and detail-oriented attorney with extensive experience in public agency law having served in the Shasta County Counsel’s Office for more than 24 years and as the Shasta County Counsel for more than 12 years. He effectively managed the County’s in-house law office while also providing practical legal advice and representation to the Board of Supervisors, the County Executive Officer and other County leadership on the full panoply of legal issues impacting California county government.
Rubin has a particular interest and expertise in addressing housing and homelessness. He updated Shasta County’s ordinance concerning unlawful camping in response to recent court decisions and provided legal advice to the Board of Supervisors on local ordinances related to panhandling. Rubin has also advised on efforts to provide affordable housing.
County of Shasta. Rubin served as County Counsel and during his tenure he was responsible for:
- Providing legal advice and representation to more than 20 County departments, including the County Clerk/Registrar of Voters, the Planning Director and the Sheriff.
- Managing an active law office, supervising a team of attorneys and support staff.
- Training and advising public officials and employees on various legal topics, including the Brown Act, ethics and conflicts of interest, election campaign restrictions, local campaign finance ordinances and the laws against harassment and discrimination.
- Drafting ballot titles and summaries, as well as impartial analyses for local measures submitted to the electorate, including tax measures.
- Representing County agencies in arbitration and administrative proceedings involving labor and employment issues.
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- “Local Campaign Finance Reform Regulations,” Presentation to the Shasta County Board of Supervisors, August 16, 2022
- Presentations to various public agencies and the California State Association of Counties’ New Supervisors Institute, on the local open meeting requirements of the Brown Act.
- Shasta County employee trainings concerning the laws against harassment and discrimination.
PRESS & AWARDS
- James B. Lindholm, Jr. Legacy Award presented by the County Counsel’s Association of California for outstanding contributions to the organization and public agency law
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
- County Counsel’s Association of California, Past President, Past Vice-President
ADMISSIONS AND COURTS
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- University of Southern California, J.D.
- University of Michigan, B.A.