About John Truxaw
John Truxaw joined Renne Public Law Group as Of Counsel on March 1, 2018. Mr. Truxaw has more than three decades of experience representing and advising public agencies in Northern California. He has served as City Attorney for the Cities of Sausalito, St. Helena, Half Moon Bay, and Sonoma. Additionally, he previously led the City of Oakland’s land use team as Supervising Deputy City Attorney, where he advised the Mayor, City Council, Planning Commission and staff, and supervised the City’s redevelopment, land use, and rent control attorneys. His practice focuses on land use and real estate matters, including negotiating and drafting leases, dispositions, acquisitions and development agreements, CEQA review and advice, zoning and Subdivision Map Act work, and water and sewer utility matters, in addition to general municipal law.
Mr. Truxaw brings significant municipal land use knowledge and experience to Renne Public Law Group. Mr. Truxaw has spent a number of years, both as a principal and on a contractual basis, with Meyers Nave Riback Silver & Wilson, advising the firm’s many municipal clients on land use matters. In recent years, Mr. Truxaw has also successfully represented private residential developers and property owners seeking land use entitlements from Bay Area cities and counties.
Mr. Truxaw’s comprehensive land use experience includes:
- Drafting land use related ordinances, resolutions, staff reports, and legal opinions;
- Providing California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) review and advice to public agencies and developers;
- Advising local elected city officials and legislative bodies on land use issues and projects during public meetings;
- Advising municipal planning staff on legal issues affecting land use proposals and decisions;
- Negotiating leases, disposition agreements, development agreements, and land use restrictions between cities and commercial entities;
- Advising public agencies on matters concerning zoning, the Subdivision Map Act, and water and sewer utilities
- Advising public agencies on the full spectrum of general government law issues, including the Brown Act, the Political Reform Act, the Public Records Act, and the Public Contracts Code;
- Representing private developers of a variety of projects, including a residential development proposed for old Navy Medical Center in Oakland, a large residential project located within a newly created marina and lagoon in Contra Costa County, multi-family housing projects in downtown Oakland, a single family residential development in Calaveras County, a residential development in Lake Tahoe, and a quarry redevelopment in San Mateo County;
- Handling complex land use and water issues associated with various waterfront commercial uses.
John Truxaw started his legal career as a Deputy City Attorney for the City of Walnut Creek, where he primarily advised the Planning Commission and staff, the engineering division, and the code enforcement division. He received his J.D. from U.C. Davis School of Law and his B.A. from U.C. Berkeley.
- University of California Davis School of Law, JD
- University of California, Berkeley, BA
Admissions and Courts